7th Regional CaribNOG Meeting, Roseau, Dominica
The Caribbean Network Operators Group (CaribNOG) hosted its 7th Regional Meeting from April 28 to May 2, 2014 at the Fort Young Hotel in Roseau, Dominica. CaribNOG 7 was supported by our premier partner, the National Telecommunications Regulatory Commission of the Commonwealth of Dominica (NTRC).
A key objective of CaribNOG is to better position the Caribbean to address critical technology challenges and issues and to collaboratively derive relevant solutions. The seventh Regional Gathering of CaribNOG brought together 113 participants both in person and through the online stream. The audience comprised of persons local to Dominica as well as regional and international participants.
The main topics at this seventh gathering were along three distinct tracks:
- IXP implementation and the growing regional internet economy
- Regional Cybersecurity considerations
- Regional Cloud Computing
The program brought together speakers from Trinidad, Jamaica, Dominica, the US and New Zealand who presented information and led discussions with the attendees on a range of issues within this space. Participants engaged in passionate discussions with the panels, especially the legal considerations around cybersecurity as it related to local legislation soon to be implemented. The links to the session summaries and the presentations are available on the Meeting Resources page.
These questions were at the forefront of the 5 day discussion:
- What stage of development is the Regional Internet Economy at and how do we foster its growth?
- What are the most pertinent Regional Cybersecurity challenges facing us?
- Is there a case for a Regional Cloud to be implemented?
What are the immediate next steps?
- Review of the post-meeting survey with adjustments to be made for CaribNOG8
- Establishment of the resource groups focused on:
- Internet Infrastructure
- Cloud Computing
- Enterprise Networking
- Wireless and Mobile